Monday, February 19, 2007

Scottish and Red updates

I kegged the Scottish Export on Tuesday, February 6th. At the time it had a cidery astringency to it (which I wasn't happy about) but it wasn't overly smoky (which I was very happy about). Anyway, it's been cold-conditioning since then, and is force-carbonating at 18 psi. As of Saturday, the cider taste seems just about gone. There's also just enough residual sweetness to balance the roastiness before it goes to a dry finish. I think the body is acceptable for the style--it's on the light end of the spectrum, but not too thin. Right now I'm thinking I might go with a little more roasted malt next time (maybe the black patent that I chickened out on at the last second when brewing this batch?).

Leah and I kegged the Irish Red on Saturday. After initially throwing 30 psi into the keg, we tried it on Sunday. It was still warm, but the results were promising. Clean, light, with just enough maltiness and hops to keep it balanced and flavorful. It was also brilliantly clear, which is good because we'll have to drag the keg over to our neighbors' for their party and I don't want to stir up a whole bunch of trub. I've now got it under 16 psi of CO2, and I can't wait to try it at serving temp in about a week. This recipe could be a winner for a go-to session beer.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Irish Red update

Racked to secondary today (I didn't do the best job sparging, so I want to rack twice to hopefully get it clear). Its gravity is at 1014, which is only three away from the target F.G., so I'll probably rack to a keg next weekend.