Monday, November 02, 2009

If it's tangy and brown, you're in Cider Town!

We wanted to have some hard cider on hand for our Novemberfest party, but time kept getting away from us.

Exhibit A: Time-Sucks #1 and #2


We also weren't sure how to get preservative-free cider without making a special trip to an orchard which would have turned into some sort of all-day outing. And again, we didn't have a free day. But during one trip to Trader Joe's (It is kind of like my version of Mecca. Maybe if they offered massages or delivery it would be perfect, but it is awfully close anyway.) I noticed that their 1/2 gallons of cider said "UV pasteurized." I double checked on the label and with an employee, and yup, no preservatives at all. So, I called Russ to check on the amount we needed and threw 5 of them in my cart.

Then, of course, I got distracted for a week or so, and then by the time I finally remembered to do it (today) it may be too late for it to be ready for Novemberfest. D'oh.

So, today I asked Russ to run the numbers for back-sweetening and let me know the recipe he had finalized. Then dissolved some white and brown sugar (1/2 lb. and 1/4 lb. respectively) into some cider, then put that mixture plus 4 of the 5 1/2 gallon containers into a carboy. I added 1/8 tsp of potassium metabisulfate to ward off wild yeast, proofed the dry yeast in some warm water, and dumped it all together. Oh, and took a few pictures.

While I was doing that, I also restarted Martha Speaks on the tivo for Dorrie twice, let her help weigh and pour the sugar, and did the vast majority of the above one-armed while holding a very tired and cranky Jonas who just wanted me to sit down and nurse him to sleep and he just did NOT UNDERSTAND WHY, WOMAN, GET YOUR BOTTOM IN GEAR, I NEED MY MILKS.

I would like my award now, please.


PB025978

Click on the picture for the flickr page with the notes. I would particularly like to draw your attention to the teeny weeny funnel that I used because I couldn't find the big funnel. The big funnel was 10 inches to my right from the above perspective - in the sink. Now Russ can make fun of me for that one instead of the time I couldn't find the orange juice in the fridge.

P.S. (update) Quit making fun of my blogspot photo formatting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chibe said...

They won't make fun of you for your blogger photo formatting because I fixed it. They will, however, make fun of you for stealing the title of my last cider-related post.

3:43 PM, November 02, 2009  
Blogger Leah said...

Crap, I knew I should have done a search.

Ah well. There needed to be SOMETHING to make fun of me for. Besides the funnel thing, of course.

4:19 PM, November 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home