Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Altbier update

I kegged the Altbier on Sunday. The good news is it seems to have attenuated well (down to 1011, just a hair below my target FG) and there don't seem to be any off-flavors. The bad news is, upon tasting it, I realized that I never scaled down my bittering hops from the original 5 gallon recipe to the 3.5 gallons I actually yielded. The result? One bitter Altbier. I'm talking citrusy, IPA-level bitter (despite the fact that I used Northern Brewer hops for bittering and not some Northwest U.S. grapefruity hop). It's a must-drink for any hophead out there. Too bad I'm not really a hophead myself, but it's definitely interesting. And, while it's not what I was going for, it's a unique and drinkable mistake, which is part of the fun of homebrewing. I still think next time I might go for a little more malt, but it's hard to say with all those hops! I think it will be interesting to see if the bitterness mellows at all with the cold conditioning and carbonating. My experience has been that the flavor/aroma hops are more likely to subdue than the overall bitterness, but oh well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Hmmmm...this sounds like something I'd really like. Altbier is my favorite style and I'm always up for something a little amped up.

I think you'll find it will taste better with age. With all those hops it should keep for a while too.

10:40 AM, October 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home