Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Time to brew the Altbier...

That's supposed to be said in monotone like "Time to make the donuts..." Get it? Wow, I'm getting old. Anyway, I grabbed a glass of water at work yesterday and the glass was small and cylindrical. As it sat on my desk I kept looking at it, thinking it looked just like an Altbier Becher ("beaker"), as seen to the right. I decided, "Screw the trial that's starting tomorrow! I'm brewing on Saturday!"

I'm really hoping I'm able to squeeze it in. I'm planning on getting as much set up Friday night as I can so I can wake up early Saturday morning, fire up the brew kettle at 6:30 or 7am, and be done by noon(ish). We'll see if it actually works that way, but for now I got the starters done tonight. Once again I'm doing a split batch for my next vintage of F5 Altbier, with five gallons being brewed with WLP 036 Düsseldorf Alt yeast and the other five with WLP 320 American Hefe yeast (now that I have a filter system I should be able to get it brilliantly clear). For now, the important thing is that I note that the American Hefe yeast starter is in the growler while the Alt yeast is in the flask. And on that note I'm going to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home