Tuesday, September 01, 2009

It's almost go-time for the Gose

So I've decided to pull the trigger on brewing my own Gose (as evidenced by the picture of lactobacillus delbrueckii to the left). After much deliberation, I've decided to go with the procedure described by "Øl-sheik" on probrewer.com (who I believe is Christoph Bhenke, head brewer at Søgaards Bryghus in Denmark):

Grist load: half malted barley, half malted wheat, designed to give about 15 EBC in Color and 11,5 Plato

Mash Intensivly for up to 2 hours


Collect runs offs and keep them at about 50 C or 122 Fahrenheit, inoculate with homofermentive lactobacillus, keep at 50 C until PH droped to about 4-4,2. This might take up to 48 hours


Boil and add hops for only bittering to reach 10-14 IBU,

I would add the salt (sea salt) at knock out rather then during mashing, although it would be more authentic. How much? No idea!

I would as well boil coriander in water separatly and add it after fermentation, rather then during the boil, to be able to control the level of intensity better.


Ferment with a bavarian hefeweizen yeast or belgium wit that has a high attenuation at usual temperature, mature for 2 weeks. I imagine that the refrehsing quality will profit from higher Co2 level.


Now, I'll be tweaking a couple things and am still trying to figure out some logistics. First, the tweaking:
  • I'm not sure what "mash intensively" means but I'm thinking I'll just do a single decoction at mash-out, as is my usual procedure.
  • I'm going to do a quick 15-minute boil before pitching the lacto.
Now, the logistics... How the hell do I keep the lacto-inoculated wort around 90-95°F? My initial thought is to run it into an insulated cooler and just hope it stays fairly warm. Sure, it'll drop, but the weather's supposed to be in the 80s this weekend so hopefully it'll stay in the neighborhood. However, my bigger concern is sterilizing the insulated cooler. We're talking wort at 95°F--prime real estate for bacteria. Hopefully the lacto will beat the crap out of anything else that gets in there, but I don't want to risk it.

Other ideas I had were buying a brew belt (though that only raises the temp five to ten degrees F above ambient), buying some sort of heating element, or building some kind of hot box, but I doubt I can get any of those done by Saturday morning (when I plan on mashing/inoculating). So for now I'm thinking I'll just make a starter on Thursday and hope that it'll have enough of a head start that it sours fairly well in 48 hours, even if it drops from 95°F to 80°F during the inoculation period.

Anyway, the plan for now is starter Thursday, mash/sparge/inoculate Saturday, boil/chill/pitch Monday. Stay tuned for the exciting results.

5 Comments:

Blogger Señor Brew™ said...

Russ, what would you put the wort in if you use a "hot box"? I'm assuming a carboy or bucket? If so, just use a cardboard carboy box around your carboy with a shielded (duct tape)low watt light bulb or a heating pad and a temperature controller. It should keep it warm enough with just the cardboard as insulation. You probably have all the necessary stuff on hand, so you won't have to buy anything. If you need an extra temperature controller, I can lend you one I rigged up for something like this.

7:24 PM, September 01, 2009  
Blogger Ryan said...

I would just pitch warm in a carboy, if you pitch the lacto before the sacch it will get sour no matter what, I doubt youll need 48hrs.

Ive gone 24hrs and Dan aka dreadnatty has gone 36hrs? and his sacch ended up crapping out due to the acidity of the wort

10:10 PM, September 01, 2009  
Blogger Hunington said...

I tried the light bulb trick, with little success. What worked better for me was the bottom of a dehydrator plugged into the Johnson controller, all of which was placed inside my "fermentation vessel" (i.e. the spare fridge I use for temp control). I have also used a small space heater, but they tend to get too hot, with some frig-warping as the result. I have also heard of sitting the carboy on a standard home heating pad, but I can't speak from experience -- but it sounds like it would be safer than a space heater. Just be cautious with all of this -- better to miss your target F.G. than to burn the house down.

11:06 PM, September 01, 2009  
Blogger Chibe said...

Thanks, guys. I think I'm going with Ryan's advice on this one since it's the easiest!

8:13 PM, September 02, 2009  
Blogger Señor Brew™ said...

Keep
It
Simple
STUPID!!!

11:18 PM, September 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home