Friday, August 18, 2006

D'oh! Leipziger Gose almost gone

Got out the trusty beer gun and bottled a twelve-pack of our Gust Front Leipzig-Style Wheat (or, auf Deutsch, Leipziger Gose) for various upcoming competitions (four for the Sam Adams Long-Shot competition, three for the Cactus Challenge (down in Lubbock), two for the Schooner Homebrew Championship (up in Racine, WI), and three extra bottles in the unlikely event we're a winner in the Sam Adams competiton in which case they need the three bottles to do lab tests). Much to my dismay, after finishing the bottling I found the keg to be incredibly light. I guess it's not too surprising, as the Gose is a great summer beer and visitors have been drinking it up. Of course, with most of our upcoming brewing devoted to our Oktoberfest party, things may be a little lean for a while. Fortunately I have bottles of various microbrews and imports up the yin-yang, so I guess I'll finally start to work my way through those.

In other brewing-related news, I "transferred" our last bottle of Cocoa Puffs Stout from a 22-oz. bottle to a 12-oz. bottle for the Cactus Challenge's "Area 51" unusual ingredient competition. And, since I didn't think the Cocoa Puffs stood out enough, I boiled a little bit of the beer with a whole bunch of baking cocoa, making a thick goop, and threw some of that in the 12-oz. bottle before filling it up with the Cocoa Puffs Stout. I only wish I could try it myself to find out if it kicks ass or sucks ass. Oh well. I guess I'll find out when I get my score sheet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home