Thursday, December 13, 2007

Quick brewing updates

So, since I've been busy trying to catch up on my Germany trip posts, I haven't really posted anything about brewing lately. Just for the record...

The Christmas Bock was raised up to 65°F for a three day diacetyl rest right before I left for Germany, and my neighbor Matt was kind enough to come over every day and drop the fermenter thermostat 5°F until we got down to 35°F for lagering. Reached lagering temp on Nov. 15th and kegged when I got back from Germany (I want to say the 19th?). Final gravity was 1015. It's now under 20 psi of pressure, though it's pretty much carbonated. I'm going to start posting tasting notes from each beer (why wasn't I doing that earlier?) so look for that soon. So far it's clean and roasty and just about ready to serve. I would classify it as a Schwarzbock (too strong and malty for a Schwarzbier, but too roasty for a traditional Bock).

Next on the brewing agenda is a gluten-free beer for a buddy of mine who has celiac disease. I'm going to be a wuss and use sorghum extract, and I'm thinking of starting off with a Belgian wit, though I'd really like to try making a Belgian strong ale. Stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home