Sunday, February 03, 2008

Happiness is...

...waking up the day after brewing and seeing this:


I was a little nervous about fermentation between the low pitching temp and the high original gravity, but fortunately I made a starter. Looks like the yeasties took off just fine.

And while I'm posting pictures, here's a cool picture Leah took during yesterday's brew:


A couple of notes I wanted to add with respect to yesterday's recipe. First, my LHBS (i.e. local homebrew shop) didn't have British mild malt, so I substituted 2 lb. crystal malt (10 L) and 2.5 lb. pale malt for the 4.5 lb. mild malt that the recipe called for. Also, as one might expect with the current hop shortage, I had to get creative with the hop bill. So I used Columbus hops for bittering and Liberty hops for finishing. I figure since these are flavored stouts the hop varietals shouldn't make a big difference so long as they're not obtrusive (like using, say, cascade hops for finishing).

2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Congrats! At least somebody is brewin' :-)

2:42 PM, February 06, 2008  
Blogger Ted Danyluk said...

Mmmm, two yummy stouts. Sounds good. Happy to hear your mashing went well.

The Michigan cherries sound good, but Cocoa Puffs in secondary? I'd like to know how they turn out. Great labels too!

You got me thinking about a 1 gallon stout beer I'm making as a yeast starter for a fresh batch of old ale for blending with the Ancient Ale. I was thinking of doing a toasted stout with lots of biscuit malt, but now I'm thinking of toasting 2-row after soaking in a concentrated spice tea. Not sure yet.

4:27 PM, February 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home