Thursday, June 11, 2009

To-do List

As I noted yesterday, we'll be brewing our Step Leader Hefeweizen on Saturday. Our kegerator has four taps, and my intention is to keep one for a light beer, one for a dark beer, one for a specialty beer and one for root beer or seltzer. The Hefe will replace our Maibock, and we still have our Dunkelweizen and Sticke Alt on tap as our dark and specialty beers. Both the Dunkelweizen and Sticke are getting pretty old, so it's time to think about what will replace each. With that in mind, I thought I would get my thoughts organized on beers I want to brew soon.

1. Black Moon. This will be a Black Belgian Wit, or a Belgian Zwart, or whatever you want to call it. Basically, it'll be a Belgian Wit with some chocolate wheat malt replacing a portion of the flaked wheat and some dehusked Carafa III and possibly a roast barley cap replacing some of the pale malt. This will be our next dark beer.

2. Gust Front Leipzig-Style Wheat. Our Leipziger Gose won a best-of-show when brewed as an extract with food-grade lactic acid added to the secondary. This time I want to up the lactic quality (a la Döllnitzer Rittergutsgose), brew it with acidified malt instead of adding the acid later (or possibly even sour it myself like a Berliner Weisse) and brew it all-grain. This would be our next specialty beer.

3. Alternatively for our next specialty beer, I could brew a Roggenbier. The nice thing about the Roggenbier is I could pitch it on to the yeast cake from the Hefeweizen.

4. I need to brew up another F5 Altbier sooner or later. I have a couple tweaks I'd like to make from the last time I brewed this up, and I really want to get this recipe down by the spring for reasons that I may or may not divulge down the road.

5. Finally, I want to brew another Scottish ale after visiting Scotland. Not sure if I'll want to go with an 80/- or a Wee Heavy, but I definitely want to take another stab at one (it's been at least two years since I brewed one, and the last one was an extract brew).

So there's my to-do list for now. So much to brew, so little time...

EDIT: Señor Brew™ notes in a comment that I forgot to mention one other plan in the works: a porter that would be split into small batches to each be flavored with something different. Man, I'm starting to feel like Ringo Starr ("I'm warning you with peace and love, I've got too much to do...").

2 Comments:

Blogger Señor Brew™ said...

What about our proposed split-some-porters brews?

8:39 AM, June 12, 2009  
Blogger Chibe said...

Señor: Good catch. See my edit above.

8:56 AM, June 12, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home