Monday, April 19, 2010

Final analysis: Gust Front Leipzig-Style Wheat

So this is long overdue, but I finally got around to doing a formal tasting of our Gust Front Leipzig-style wheat (a.k.a. Leipziger Gose). It's a good thing, because as you can see in the picture below, it ran out halfway through the pour! This beer took second place in the specialty beer category of the BOSS Chicago Cup competition, so I guess it's not too bad, but I still may tweak it in the future. Here's the review:


Style: Gose. Orig. gravity: 1050. Final gravity: 1014.
ABV: 4.8%. IBU's: 15.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, deep straw color with a hint of orange. A nice white head tops the beer.

Smell: You pick up the tart smell of the lactic acid along with some green apple. There's a touch of yeast but not much.

Taste: The sourness hits you up front. It's definitely there but not overwhelmingly so; it's also a very clean sourness. As the tartness settles down, you get a nice combination of yeast and bready wheat maltiness. It's never savory but you do get a mineral bite in the finish. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Nice body--not too heavy; not too thin--and adequate carbonation, though not quite as effervescent as a Hefeweizen.

Overall: As I noted a while back (towards the end of this post), I did a side-by-side of this with Döllnitzer Ritterguts Gose (my favorite Gose from Leipzig) and the biggest difference was mine was still significantly less sour than theirs. Now, Leipzig actually has two different breweries making Gose, and mine was in between the two when it comes to sourness. I still like the Döllnitzer best and I may try to make this more sour the next time I brew, but this one was definitely more accessible such that beer newbies still enjoyed it (something that probably wouldn't be the case with Döllnitzer). The other thing I'd like is to get more of a yeast bite from the beer; not sure how I'd do that but maybe I can mess around with different yeasts. But for my first time experimenting with lactic fermentation, I would consider this a resounding success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home