Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas comes early!!!

So I'll skip the boring details and get right to the point... I have obtained eight bottles of heavenly, malty, Germanic bliss!!! Specifically, I managed to snag the following beers: two bottles of Döllnitzer Ritterguts Gose, two bottles of Brauerei Goslar Gose (one Helle or light and one Dunkle or dark), one bottle of Füchschen Altbier, one bottle of Füchschen Weihnachtsbier, one bottle of Füchschen Silber (a wheat beer) and one bottle of Einsiedler Doppel Bock.


Without getting into too many details, here's why I'm excited about each of these... Gose is a style of beer that's fascinated me since I first learned of it. After first reading about it, I happened to visit the Map Room one day and discover they had the Bayerischer Bahnhof Gose on tap! I was amazed how drinkable the stuff was (since all I had read was that it was a soured wheat beer brewed with salt and coriander--hardly your typical brew). Last year I got a chance to visit Leipzig, where I discovered the joy of Döllnitzer Ritterguts Gose at Ohne Bedenken. It was incredible and, after trying it, Bayerischer Bahnhof was simply too tame. Unfortunately, Bayerischer Bahnhof is the only Gose exported to the U.S., so that's why I'm excited to get two more bottles of Döllnitzer now.

I'm even more excited to obtain bottles of the Goslarer Gose because Brauerei Goslar is one of only two German breweries still producing Gose that I've yet to try. Plus it's from Goslar, the original home of the Gose. And on top of all that, they brew the only Dunkle (dark) Gose of which I'm aware. To be honest, all the reviews I've read suggest the Goslarer Gose it's mild compared to my beloved Döllnitzer, but I'm still stoked to have the opportunity to try it.

Moving on to the Altbier, as I've blogged previously, Altbier is my favorite style and Füchschen is my favorite Altbier brewery. Again, it's unavailable in the United States, so I'm excited to have a bottle to enjoy. Besides that, I currently have my Altbier on tap so I'm looking forward to comparing the two, and I'm helping some commercial brewer friends of mine develop their Alt recipe, so I'm excited to have an authentic Düsseldorf example for them to sample while crafting their version of my favorite beer.

I'm even more excited about the Füchschen Weihnachtsbier because it's their special, stronger version of their Altbier. Uerige calls theirs Sticke, Schumacher calls theirs Latzenbier, and Schlüssel calls theirs Stikebier. Whatever you call it, it's even more of a good thing, and I'm particularly stoked to try this because I could've tried it when I visited Düsseldorf last year but I didn't realize it was out already ("Weihnachtsbier" means "Christmas Beer" and being there just before Thanksgiving I thought it wouldn't be out until December).

The last Füchschen beer--Füchschen Silber--is the one I'm least excited about, as it represents the latest example of an Altbier brewer adding a wheat beer to their repertoire. Not sometime I must try, but I'm looking forward to trying something new nonetheless.

The last beer in my octet is the Einsiedler Doppel Bock. I don't know much about it, other than I did a little googling and found one commenter who included it among Maximator and Celebrator as their favorite Doppelbocks (good company, indeed).

Well, so much for not going into details. Suffice it to say I'm pretty stoked. So here's my thought... I bust open one bottle a week for the next two months. I'm thinking my first will be the Weihnachtsbier (it is almost Christmas, after all) and the last will be a Döllnitzer Gose (as Leah should have had the baby by then, so she can enjoy it with me). Sounds like an awesome two months, wouldn't you agree?

2 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

If I go late you're just going to have to wait a week or two to bust out the Döllnitzer because I am totally not missing out on that. :)

7:50 AM, December 24, 2008  
Blogger Brian said...

wow..that Gose sounds incredibly interesting! Off to find a recipe now!

Cheers!
Brian

3:45 PM, December 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home