Sunday, December 07, 2008

Nasty Dan's (Red) Cream Soda

Besides root beer, probably my favorite pop is Barq's Red Creme Soda. In an attempt to clone it (and come up with a regular cream soda recipe) I did some experimenting today, and here's the recipe I came up with for now:

9% sugar (90:10 cane-to-brown-sugar ratio)
0.75% vanilla extract
90.25% carbonated water

Simple, huh? To make Nasty Dan's Red Cream Soda, I added a 2:1 mixture of grenadine and raspberry syrup to taste. If you want the authentic, old-school experience, you should throw a dash of either whipping cream (preferred) or half-and-half in your glass before pouring. I tried it for the first time and it's pretty awesome.

Anyway, for now we're thinking of just having club soda (which I will be branding Ten Percenter Club Soda) on tap and preparing syrups to mix soda-counter style. Of course, that will just be when we don't have our Swearengen's Old Tyme Root Beer on tap. My only concern is the pressure needed, since we only have one CO2 regulator and uniform length serving lines on our kegerator. I'll report back after some experimentation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home