Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Chicago readers: free beer tomorrow at Rock Bottom!

I generally don't get into politics on this blog (it is just a brewer's log, after all) but I've always found a strong connection between beer and freedom. From our forefathers (forebrewers?) fighting to repeal the 18th Amendment to more recent campaigns to legalize homebrewing and high-alcohol beers, there's just something about brewing and drinking beer that is liberating. Hell, even in The Shawshank Redemption, the one time Andy Dufresne felt free while at Shawshank was when he got the one guard to bring them all beer while tarring the roof of the prison (as Red narrated: "We sat and drank with the sun on our shoulders and felt like free men").

I suppose it's no coincidence then that beer is a staple of the 4th of July barbecue. Of course, if you're like me and don't want to wait until Saturday, I invite you to stop by the Rock Bottom just north of downtown Chicago (on State and Grand, to be specific) tomorrow from 6-7pm for the tapping of Pete Crowley's American Dream IPA! I had a sneak preview of the beer straight from the conditioning tank last Thursday and it's good stuff. Oh, and I suppose I should also mention it's FREE. How's that for freedom?! I know Brian from The Daily Ikura will be there, and Señor Brew is no stranger to Rock Bottom either (maybe he'll show up to bask in the glory of his recent victory). Hope to see you there too...

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

and what an event it was!

Great beer and conversation..oh and D Lee tore it up at the plate all while we were there.

Amazing IPA - highly suggest everyone tries it. Cheers, Nrian

10:27 AM, July 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home