Sunday, September 27, 2009

Quick Gose update

After three weeks (that damn WLP 320 ferments sloooooooowly) I went to rack the Gose today when I noticed a slight problem... mold. Yes, that's right. Mold. Fortunately, there were only a couple dime-size patches on top of the Kraeuzen (I apparently spilled something on the outside of the carboy when taking a gravity reading and the mold started on the outside and worked its way in because I didn't crimp the foil cap tightly). I racked to the keg leaving the top three inches of beer (and the mold) behind, and the sample I took for a gravity reading didn't seem to yield any off-flavors. To the contrary, it was pretty damn good. The last time I took a sample it was at 1025 and was way sweet (and sweet plus sour may work for lemonade but not for beer). By now it has dropped to 1014 and is noticeably sour. I'm not sure it's a sour as Döllnitzer, but it's definitely more sour than Bayerischer Bahnhof. That being said, it wasn't as earthy and yeasty as I'd like, but I'm assuming the yeastiness will come with the natural conditioning (I added 76 g table sugar). If it still doesn't have that mineral bite when it's done, I may actually add a little more salt to the keg; we'll see.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm in a tornado warning so I'm going to go figure out what's going on.

EDIT: In my hurry to seek shelter from a tornado that never existed, I forgot to mention that the Gose is in the Quimby keg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home