Saturday, November 21, 2009

Looking for an engineer who will work for beer

At any given time I usually have three beers and one non-alcoholic selection on tap in my basement kegerator, and it can be hard to keep track of how much is left in each. I've looked into various options for monitoring the levels but the best I found (the Keg-Meter) would run $400 for four kegs. Ouch.

Well, the other day I came across plans for this: a tweeting kegerator! Basically, you buy four 100-lb. force sensors and hook it up to an Arduino Ethernet Shield which sends the info to a webpage. You then use a software script to send updates to a twitter account. It seems that it would cost somewhere between $150 and $200 for everything, but how cool is that??!! Now, the problem... Even though the website gives detailed instructions for everything, I still have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

Sooooo... any engineers out there who are willing to work for beer? ;-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ryan Tenney said...

I could help out. SparkFun was kind enough to provide most of the details needed to build it, but one problem you may encounter is in trying to monitor the levels of each keg independently. They set it up for only one keg, and place the force sensors between the casters and the base of the refrigerator. Please shoot me an email (address can be found at my website), and I'd be happy to help out in any way I can! Cheers!

10:01 AM, November 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home